Dear Britt –
I am behind, I know. I wrote half this post last week, and just got around to finishing it, but here goes!
Last week for dinner, I made tomato soup and grilled cheese.
Initially I was going to just have a bowl of cereal, but I was inspired by my thanksgiving shopping trip as well as a loss of what to say in our blog about my cereal dinner (I’m sure that post will come soon).
I knew I had canned tomatoes (a good thing to always have on stock), buillon, and pretty much all the other ingrediants, plus it’s super easy and something you can save for the rest of the week.
- 2 cans whole tomatoes
- Brown sugar
- Shallot (or onions)
- Tomato paste
- Allspice (I omitted this time)
- A little flour
- Chicken stock (1 ¾ cup)
- ½ cup cream
- Brandy or sherry (I always have some, but you could probably do it without)
- Salt, cayenne
- I roasted canned whole tomatoes (save some of the juice from the can), dusted with brown sugar, in the oven on high (220C/450F). I did it on foil to save time in cleaning
- Cooked shallots (or onions), tomato paste (1 TBSP), and allspice (if you have it) in dutch oven in butter until shallots were soft
- Add 2 TBSP flower and stir until combine and then slowly whisk in 1 ¾ cup chicken stock, roasted tomatoes, and some reserved tomato juice
- Bring to a boil and then simmer (covered) for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Puree mixture using handblender, and then add in ½ cup cream, 2 TBSP brandy or sherry, salt and cayenne. I also added strips of basil bc I had some leftover.
The good: easy, uses a lot of what you probably already have, keeps well
The bad: it has some cream – not good for britt’s tummy
I made it with a delicious grilled cheese with Pain Poilane and Swiss Cheese – you could substitute for a salad and be much healthier 🙂